LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

, me and my daughter get ss and ssi and me and my

Customer Question

hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: me and my daughter get ss and ssi and me and my husband spilt up a few months and my husdand got money from his moms death we did not know we had to pay taxes on it now I don't want to get in trouble with ss and me and my husband are back together
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

An inheritance that was received by your husband is not your property but the sole personal property iof your husband and you are not liable to pay taxes on the inheritance.

If you filed a joint tax return with your husband that should have included the inheritance but did not, then you may apply to the IRS for innocent spouse status and avoid any tax obligation on the inheritance. Your ex will have to pay it all.

Here is a link to the form that you will need to file with the IRS: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8857.pdf

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

I meant to write that you husband will have to pay the taxes on his inheritance.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug