dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

What is the procedure to contest who is the designated payee

Customer Question

What is the procedure to contest who is the designated payee for my minor childrens S.S.I. benefits ? I was never married to the childrens mother and although she has a history of drug and alcohol abuse was selected to be the designated payee by the Social Security Administration( I assume because she is the primary caregiver). Is there a procedure available to have a third party designated as the payee ? I fear she will squander the benefit money on herself and the children will see little of it. I was told by a federal employee at the local S.S.I. office that past "bad acts" are not considered when establishing the designated payee and documentation must be provided in order to change designated payee status. This woman has been in Federal Prison (drug conspiracy)through 2 drug treatment programs, had 4 D.U.I.'s (most recently 2013 with kids in vehicle w/o restraints). How can I possibly document her drug & alcohol use when I have nothing to do with this woman. I have joint visitation with my children twice a week and every other weekend w/alternating holidays.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Are the children disabled? You mention SSI and not Social Security, is why I ask.