How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3430
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the procedure to contest who is the designated payee

Customer Question

What is the procedure to contest who is the designated payee for my minor childrens S.S.I. benefits ? I was never married to the childrens mother and although she has a history of drug and alcohol abuse was selected to be the designated payee by the Social Security Administration( I assume because she is the primary caregiver). Is there a procedure available to have a third party designated as the payee ? I fear she will squander the benefit money on herself and the children will see little of it. I was told by a federal employee at the local S.S.I. office that past "bad acts" are not considered when establishing the designated payee and documentation must be provided in order to change designated payee status. This woman has been in Federal Prison (drug conspiracy)through 2 drug treatment programs, had 4 D.U.I.'s (most recently 2013 with kids in vehicle w/o restraints). How can I possibly document her drug & alcohol use when I have nothing to do with this woman. I have joint visitation with my children twice a week and every other weekend w/alternating holidays.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Are the children disabled? You mention SSI and not Social Security, is why I ask.