Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

A relative of mine worked years straight, paying social

Customer Question

a relative of mine worked for 19 years straight, paying social security benefits all the way through, but, due to illness, he has worked on and off for the past 15 years, without paying social security. Can he still qualify for benefits at age 62?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, he can file for a benefit (retirement) at 62, if he has earned 40 quarterly credits. 4 credits are earnable per year, and if he worked more than 10 years in a reasonably gainful manner, he should be "insured" for SS retirement benefits. Because he didn't pay on the last many years of his work (presumably didn't even file returns) he will not get the larger benefit he'd get if he'd paid more for that higher benefit, but he should get something for retirement, based on the 10+ years (40+ credits) that he did earn and pay for.

Note that is he takes at 62, his benefit amount will be further reduced for NOT waiting til his full retirement age. That means whatever his primary insurance amount is, it will be reduced by up to 32%. But if he waits til his FRA (66-67) it will be the "full" amount. And if he waits til age 70, it will be 32% higher than the "full" amount, and 80% higher than the age-62 amount.

Note also that taking a benefit before FRA means he is subject to the earnings limit that applies to 'early' retirees.

Also, if he continues to work and pays SS tax on at least $5000+ (approx) per year, it will raise his benefit amount because there will be less zeros averaged in to his top 35 years of income, which drag down his benefit amount considerably.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent!

Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional