Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am interested in two questions that has occured within

Customer Question

I am interested in two questions that has occured within these last few weeks on the computer. Although, I have heard over the last 20 yrs. the possibility of SS being thrown in the garbage dump. First question is that as of May 1st SS is no long a retirement advantage to anyone. Well if so what are seniors to do that on 911 lost theoir pensions and only have SS. Has no one stopped to think what will ahppen when all these Seniors are in the streets and dieing , it will get kind of smelly wouldn't you think. Now I also heard that SS is to be Grandfathered in so some of thre more fortunate of us will get something. Wait SS is ours we worked for it and I still don't see why a SS man/women can't get her X's SS on top of hers to survive. Who are you giving that to. Syrians. Get real we don't need them here. With Grandfathering in why should I or anyone else have to sign a form to get the grandfather thing. That should be automatic and don't short change us. I aklso keep seeing that I am owed about $4,000.00 + something each mo. Why aren't we being told this. Are you hoping some of the seniors won't understand and not do it and that makes more money for the polititians to line their pockets and feed their families, while I keep being told I make to much on SS. Well I earned it. But, it's not enough when the economy sucks.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Good morning, are you asking me to respond to your comments? Or did you have a particular question of SS law you'd like me to explain? Let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Want to know if this is true that SS is going to be abolished and as a recipient of SS I have to be Grandfathered in, why don't they just do it for the Seniors. What's the big deal. I am sure you don't want my take on this.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No can't afford to talk on phone.

Hi, be right with you.

OK, it is definitely NOT true that SS is going to be abolished. Rather, certain twists that allowed more choices are being phased out for anyone under 62 before end of 2015 - namely, a spouse who wants to defer his/her own benefits til 70, but is eligible for a spousal benefit at his/her FRA (Full retirement age) and has not collected anything early (other than a survivor, if applicable) COULD file a restricted application for spousal benefit only at his/her FRA, allow his own to defer til 70 to grow by another 32%, then switch over if that one is larger. THis is what is ending for those under 62 at end of 2015 - we can't do it. Older people can - they are grandfathered. Of course, many people don't choose the restricted application option anyway, so it would only effect those that chose this option, or would have, but are too young.

So, yes, SS has had a dig into it by our lovely Congress and President - but no, no one's OWN SS benefit is being taken away, AT ALL. And, with regard to 5/1 or 4/30 -- after 4/30, anyone who wants to suspend taking his benefits after filing for them, and at or after his FRA, can still do so (such as to grow them to age 70) - but, suspending them will suspend all being taken on HIS record (such as spousal or minor children). Painful for some, indeed. But most people already collecting have no effect.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent!

Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

..