Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Can I receive spousal benefits if he is 61 yrs old & would I

Customer Question

Can I receive spousal benefits if he is 61 yrs old & would I get mine & 1/2 of his at that age ? I am 65 & thinking of collecting this year
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, in order for you to get benefits from your spouse, your spouse would need to be drawing his own benefit. At his age, it would be reduced. Social Security is also doing away with that method of applying -- you would not qualify anyways as you must be 66. Therefore, when you file you will be forced into the largest benefit available to you. I wish I had better news :-( The fact that your husband is younger than you and also the passage of the new legislation worked against you.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got about the same answer on the s.s.website......should have believed them & saved money!
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for confirming that my answer is accurate. Unfortunately, this is a situation where the changes that went into effect aren't beneficial for your situation. I'm truly sorry and wish you the best.