Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My wife uncle was in Fl and we brought them to CT in our

Customer Question

My wife uncle was in Fl and we brought them to CT for hospice in our house on 6/1/2015. When we moved him to CT, SS suspended all payment until my wife received his legal representation from probate court in CT. SS said that they will start paying again on 2/3/2016 and they said that they will make the retroactive payments back to 7/3/2015 when they stopped the payments. However, my wife uncle is in very bad shape and the doctor is saying that he my not last more than a couple of days. My question is, does my wife has to return all the payments back to SS if he passes this month. She was thinking of using that money for the funeral.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

If it is likely that your wife's uncle will pass before the SSA straightens out the retro pay, typically it will NOT forwarded it to the account of a deceased person. Rather, your wife can provide proof of being legal representative of his estate, where she gathers that asset as well as all others, pays any outstanding bills, including funeral costs if any (or a loan by her paying for funeral if she must be paid back), and then the net estate goes to the beneficiaries under this will or to his legal heirs if he has no will. So generally, your wife will have to petition the court of his county to represent his estate.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent!

Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional