Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

If an individual has death benefits from father's demise and

Customer Question

If an individual has death benefits from father's demise and has now turned 18, is still in
school, will the payments go directly to him or continue being sent to his mother?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Since the individual is age 18, he/she can call social security and set up direct deposit on their own and receive the benefit instead of the mother receiving it. He/she an do 3 things:

You can do 3 things:

1) Logging into or signing up for your "my social security account" (https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do). Once he/she is logged in to his/her account, they change change the deposit method.

2) Calling at 1-***-***-****. This is from Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

3) Go in person or call your local SS office and request it. See link to find it: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?