Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

What is the new law being passed by May 1st of 2016? Can I

Customer Question

What is the new law being passed by May 1st of 2016? Can I effect my payments by applying to Social Security to stop this from effecting me?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Here are the basics:

1) If you were planning on filing for a spousal benefit only, ("Restricted Application") at your FRA (full retirement age), while letting your own grow to age 70, then switching over - such a Restricted Application for Spousal benefits will only be available for those who were 62 before end of 2015. That option is gone for everyone else.

2) After 4/30/16, anyone who suspends collection of his benefits, will also be suspending the benefits of any dependents taking under his record (ie a spouse or minor child). Thus, anyone who wanted to file for benefits to get his dependents able to collect any eligible benefits, but was then going to suspend his own benefits til 70 to have them grow (such as if he is still working and doesn't need his benefit now), will not be able to do that AFTER 4/30. If he does it after 4/30, everyone's stops. So, he either has to be willing to collect his own and forego the deferment option so his dependents can collect, or no one collects til he later files.

These don't effect everyone, but boy do they effect A LOT.

Let me know if you need any other discussion, I am happy to help.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!