Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My Husband just passed away last night (Jan. 29th). s social

Customer Question

My Husband just passed away last night (Jan. 29th). His social security amount was automatically deposited in our joint account on Wed. Jan 27th. Will I have to pay that money back to Social Security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Normally payments are sent on the 3rd of each month so I'm not sure what payment was received. The executor or spouse should call Social security to let them know as it is possible that the payment will need to be returned if it was for the month of February. If it was a payment for the month of January it is likely that it will not. Remember the surviving ing spouse can get a one time payment of $255 and also is due for survivor benefits so this question will be answered in this process as social security will need to be informed anyway.

Pleaselet meknow if youhave anyfurther questionsand pleasepositively ratemy answerifsatisfied.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?