dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My husband received social security disability starting

Customer Question

My husband received social security disability starting February 2015. He passed away on January 7th this year. I am still working. Salary is 58,000. According to Ss I make over $15,720 and will be penalized 1 dollar for every $2 over 15,720 and even if I did retire they would hold 10 months of checks to make up for my salary. I can only collect his social security if I retire and earn under the minimum until I reach age 66 then can collect his social security which would be higher than mine and not capped on salary. I've been told that I should be able to collect something now. Any advice?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I'm not quite sure what you are asking. You are clear on the fact that you are earning way too much money to be able to collect a survivor benefit now. What is it that you think you should be able to collect?

2. What is your present age?

3. Are you willing to give up your job and wages in exchange for the much smaller monthly payment that a survivor benefit would pay you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

1. I'm not quite sure what you are asking. You are clear on the fact that you are earning way too much money to be able to collect a survivor benefit now