LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

How is SSI benefits figured mental disabled with low income.

Customer Question

How is SSI benefits figured for a mental disabled with low income.
Are medical and living expenses a factor in the calculation.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Scott,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While your living expenses and medical care expenses are not directly related to your qualification for SSI, if you have disability related expenses that allow you to work, those expenses will be deducted from income.

Otherwise SSI qualification is based on your income and your assets. Here is a comprehensive list of what counts and what does not: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-income-ussi.htm

And the maximum amount that a person may qualify in 2016 is $733 for an eligible individual and $1,100 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug