lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My husband and I have the same prescription drug coverage.

Customer Question

My husband and I have the same prescription drug coverage. Mine is deducted from my check for $1308 last year. His we pay by bank draft for $70.40 a month. He also had
$615 deducted from his check for drug coverage plus the bank draft. Is this correct?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

Most people only pay their Part D premium. If you don't sign up for Part D when you're first eligible, you may have to pay a Part D late enrollment penalty.

If your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years ago (the most recent tax return information provided to Social Security by the IRS) is above a certain limit, you may pay a Part D income-related monthly adjustment amount (Part D-IRMAA) in addition to your monthly plan premium. This extra amount is paid directly to Medicare, not to your plan.

The chart below lists the extra amount costs by income.

scroll donw on following page

https://www.medicare.gov/part-d/costs/premiums/drug-plan-premiums.html

But otherwise - payments should be the same for you and your spouse.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is the amount of the income
Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

That your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years ago (the most recent tax return information provided to Social Security by the IRS)

Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

Generally - if you are using form 1040 - that amount would be on the first page last line with some modifications related to your social security benefits.

If you did not file your tax return - the SSA determine that income based on information they have.
.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.