How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13486
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is this I hear where we can get more money if we

Customer Question

what is this I hear where we can get more money if we started befor a certain year
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi Milo,

If someone turned 62 before the end of 2015, he or she can, LATER, when he hits his full retirement age, file a restricted SS application for only spousal benefits, while deferring his own benefit so it grows 32% bigger, til age 70, when he then switches. Those that didn't yet turn 62, will not be grandfathered for that possible opportunity.

The other issue is that if one files for benefits and wants to suspend them, so that they grow to age 70, unless he does so before 5/1/2016, any suspension of his benefit will also suspend and dependents taking a benefit on his record, such as a spousal collecting a spousal benefit or a child taking a child's benefit.

So if any of the above fits your situation, the details above are what you want to do.


Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!