Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

When I applied ss I was 62 y/o female I was married but we

Customer Question

when I applied for my ss I was 62 y/o female I was married but we hAD SOLD house and it caused my husbands SS BEBEFITS TO GO DOWN we are retired and divorced can I reapply and get an increase in my benefits, We were married for 48 years and I worked as a nurse for 25 years and it doesn't seem fair that his income increased and mine didn't.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help.

Social Security retirement and disability (except for SSI) benefits are not adjusted due to income. Medicare premiums, however, due get adjusted if you AGI is greater than a certain threshold found on your prior year tax returns. If you had a large capital gain due the home sale, your Medicare premiums might have likely increased. However, Medicare adjust premiums each year, so if in the following year you had much less income, your Medicare premiums will be adjusted down (probably to what they were before). You can open an online account at https://ssa.gov/myaccount/ and select the "Sign in or Create an Account" button. This will enable you to see your Social Security benefit information and any deductions for Medicare premiums.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions.

Thanks, Jonathan