Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

What are the eligibility requirements? How many are being

Customer Question

What are the eligibility requirements? How many are being banned?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: From what I have seen on the int3ernet, all SS recipients are being encouraged to apply for the benefits that are being cut. What are they and who is eligible?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OK, very few can do this filing (before or now), but for those that can, here are who they are and when they can act.

As always (before and going forward) if you are over your FRA (full retirement age), one can suspend any benefit that they have filed for, up until age 70. They may do this because by deferring retirement benefits on their own record, they can increase them by 8% per year for a maximum of 4 years. This can create an increase of up to 32% over one's PIA (primary insurance amount - the amount you get if you take at your FRA).

However, if you do this AFTER 4/30/16, you will ALSO be suspending any dependents benefits being taken under your work record. This is NOT used to be the case, so this is big for some. This means, your spouse, if collecting a spousal benefit, will have hers halted if you stop taking your own.

Also, another change, but no rush on this one - a spouse who did NOT become at least 62 by end of 2015, can no longer LATER file a restricted application for spousal benefit only, once she/he hits her FRA. Those not grandfathered can file at FRA, but will get their OWN benefit plus any spousal boost to reach the spousal amount if that is higher. This means they can't take spousal from 66-70 while letter their own grow to age 70 (and increasing 32%).

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no other questions

Great! I am glad I could help. Please feel free to ask of me in the future, and SS related questions.

And please don't forget to rate my service.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Joy