LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I keep hearing that on May 1st Seniors are losing some

Customer Question

I keep hearing that on May 1st Seniors are losing some benefits. What are they & what are the 6 words this guy says to tell a Social Security person & it will increase our monthly check by a 1000.00 a month or more. Sounds like hes trying to sell books. I'm 79 & my wife is 78 & we've been getting our money (SS) for number of years. Anything i can do to increase the amount we get before this deadline? I have a friend thats 90 he went down to the VA office cause he needed more money as he was a farmer & got very little Social Security. They cut him a check for 7000.00 & upped his monthly check by 300.00 a month. Can i go do that?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Billy,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The two things that changed in social security law which effect the benefits that you are entitled to have to do with spouse benefits and only apply to people who haven't yet started taking a benefit yet.

Likewise, there are no magic 6 words to increase your benefit. Let me explain.

I have seen these ads and blogs telling seniors that they can get $1,000 more a month in social security, and other claiming that you can make changes to how you apply for benefits to get more.

Unfortunately, what the headlines don’t tell you is that there is no social security giveaway, and anyone who plans ahead can do this. But if you are already receiving benefits there is nothing you can do to increase the benefit you are presently receiving.

Where the mysterious $1,000 a month comes from is by choosing when you are age 62, not to take your social security benefits and wait until age 70 to do so. In doing that the average worker will get about $1,000 per month more in their benefit payment from social security.

If you have already started taking your retirement benefit from social security and have been receiving it for more than a year, it is impossible to do anything about delaying your retirement and getting that additional thousand dollars a month.

While the message about the extra money is not a scam, it really only applies to certain people who are able and willing to postpone taking their benefit until age 70---which few retirees’ are able to do.

I have a friend that's 90 he went down to the VA office cause he needed more money as he was a farmer & got very little Social Security. They cut him a check for 7000.00 & upped his monthly check by 300.00 a month. Can i go do that? Your friend either was not receiving his social security retirement benefit yet when he went to social security and so they allowed him to make a retroactive claim for 6 months, or he applied perhaps for a spouse retirement benefit and received a retroactive payment. Those are the only two ways that a person can get a retroactive, lump sum payment of that amount at age 90.

I'm afraid that there is nothing that you can do to increase your benefit at this point in time, and there is no need to buy the books sold by people who talk about increasing your benefits---because by the time you are over 70, it is too late to change your benefit unless one of you dies or if one of you applies for a spouse benefit because half of your spouse's benefit would be more than what you are receiving.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug