LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Husband died October 4, 2015, and Funeral Home notified

Customer Question

Husband died October 4, 2015, and Funeral Home notified Social Security, I received a letter from Retirement, Survivore and Disability Insurance that they were notified of his death. When we checked his checking account at the bank I found they have continued to deposit his Social Security Check for November, December, and January. Need to get this stopped. What is the simplest way to do this
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Virginia,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You should do two things to get social security to cease sending a payment to your hu8sband's account.

First, notify the bank that your husband has died and is not supposed to be receiving a benefit any longer. They will return the money to social security that was deposited after his death and which he was not entitled to and notify social security to stop the payments.

Additionally, you should call social security and let them know of the problem as well with their continuing payments to his account. You can call the Social Security Office toll-free at 1-***-***-****.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug