PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

I will be 64 on Friday, I was married years and divorced. My

Customer Question

I will be 64 on Friday, I was married for 22 years and divorced for 16. My ex will 70 in Feb and has been collect SS since 65. I work full time. Are SS benefits available to me? I was told there is a divorce loop hole closing this April is that correct?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

SS benefits are available to you. You can claim now, if you like, for early benefits. Two drawbacks: the amount of your benefit will be reduced, and you will have to repay some benefits if you earn more than $15,720 (2015 amount).

If you claim, your benefits will be paid out first. If a spousal benefit would be higher, you would get an additional amount to add up to a max of 50% of his benefit. That does not impact his benefit at all.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

I need to clarify my earlier response, and the site doesn't allow us to edit once posted.

You could claim a spousal benefit now against his work record, and allow your benefits to grow, until such time as you choose to claim your own (up to age 70).

That strategy is scheduled to expire April 30, 2016. After that, your benefits are to be paid first, and the deferral is not available.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.