dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am a US citizen living in Canada as a permanent resident..

Customer Question

I am a US citizen living in Canada as a permanent resident.. since June 4th 1984...I've been working since 2007. I need to know if the Provincial and Federal governments of Canada collaborate with you for income taxes? I sure hope so because I was made to understand that they do. I have difficulty understanding legal papers.. I hope you can help me with this.
I don't want to be penalized for something I'm ignorant about.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Your question is posted in the social security category, and yet your question is about income taxes. Is your question about coordination of social security benefits or general income tax issues?

2. What specifically do you need to know about?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my question is about income taxes, I've been doing everything by the book, bringing the income statements to my accountant each year and she in turn makes copies of the statements of what I earned from SS. and my workplace. I receive the SSI. I don't know if I can explain this right.. Oh gosh, how do I explain? I'm at a loss for words....and very stressed because I was doing what was right to the best of my knowledge.
I was told by SS that I'm allowed to earn up to a thousand per month, and I make 10.80$/ hour and work 84 hours a month. Sometimes we receive bonuses which brings up my total per year earnings. Two different amounts. And on the statement for my benefits it's written: Read this to see if your SS benefits may be taxable: If the only thing I receive are my benefits and no work, I will probably not have to pay the taxes. Do you know of this? Anyway, I don't understand all that is written but my accountant copies this and sends it to the Provential and Federal gov'ts of Canada saying that they will do the calculations. There are explanations on this statement for them to do this. If they have not, then I don't know what to do! Am I supposed to ask for the Tax forms and see if I'm to pay anything? I'm all for doing the right thing, always have. Gosh, am I making any sense here? If you need me to clarify better, please do ask me.. I'd like to send you the statement I was given, it's all so confusing, I don't understand a thing, so you can explain to me please? I'm deaf.
Did you get the document I scanned?
I really hope you can help me.
Thank you,
Sincerely yours,*****
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for explaining. As this is more a tax issue than a social security issue, I will opt out and change the category of this question to out tax category.

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Doug,
Seeing that my question has not been answered, why should I pay and pay again for the one who will answer? I hope you'll be fair to not charge me this rate. If another answers, will I be charged this rate again??
Thank you..
Sincerely yours,*****
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

You have not been charged yet. Your deposit is still posted to the site. You will not be charged again when another expert seeks to assist you.

Doug