Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I see on May 1st,2016 congress is banning some of Social

Customer Question

I see on May 1st,2016 congress is banning some of Social Security's biggest benefits.
I want to know what i need to do to cash in on this situation before the deadline approaches - and i need to know asap,if i need to come to a Social Security office to do this let me know as soon as possible. I do not want to miss out on this warning as the rest of my life may depend on this to happen to me. I am on a fixed income and i need some answers on what i need to do. I will be looking for the answer in my Email no later than next week,please respond as soon as possible. thank you
***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

This change probably does not affect you and is being hyped in the media but it is a small loophole that is being closed. It is not a magical lump sum that has to be elected and deals with "file and suspend" and spousal benefits. A spouse can only take the spousal benefit if the other spouse has elected to take their benefit. Another requirement is that the spouse must be at least age 62 or have a qualifying child in her/his care. By a qualifying child, social security means a child who is under age 16 or who receives Social Security disability benefits. Currently the law is changing and a "suspend and file" cannot be elected starting on may 1, 2016. In this circumstance at full retirement age (66) one could file and suspend their benefits and continue earning credits until age 70 and their spouse could elect to take the spousal benefit. The spousal benefit can be as much as half of the worker's "primary insurance amount," depending on the spouse's age at retirement. If the spouse begins receiving benefits before "normal (or full) retirement age," the spouse will receive a reduced benefit. However, if a spouse is caring for a qualifying child, the spousal benefit is not reduced.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further question? I want you to be satisfied with my service, so please let me know.