Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My son is 19 and going to a non-additional 9 mo. school

Customer Question

My son is 19 and going to a non-additional 9 mo. school before going to a 4 your college next year. His mother died while he and she were in scuba diving over Christmas. Additional Information:
-He is an a gap/link year program before college
-He's been accepted at 6 Universities and is planning on being a full-time student in fall 2016
-He's 19 now and his mom and I have been divorced for 2 1/2 yrs
-His mom was a family Dr. and in looking at an older Soc Sec. printout, he would have qualified for $1820 in 2010 as a Family Survivor
-He lives with me when not in school
-I doubt I quality for anything since we are divorced, but he is my responsibility through collge.
-Never hurts to ask!!
Thank,
Berry R Huffman
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Hi Berry, are you asking if he is eligible for a child's survivor benefit under his mom's record?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please

Berry, I am so sorry for your family loss, and I feel particularly for your son.

With regard to SS child benefits, such as a child's dependent survivor benefit, it does not appear your son would be eligible on these facts. Child's benefits, except for disabled children, will end once the child is an adult - 18, unless he is still in high school, then he can be paid up to 19. Your son is over 19, so this wouldn't apply. I presume he is not disabled as well.

I wish it were different, but it is what it is. When they mean "child" benefit, they do indeed mean it - essentially children that are not expected to work for a living yet, if they need it to survive. Over 18 (or 19), they are considered capable of work, college or no college and the insurance auxiliary benefit halts.

That said, it is always worth looking into! I can't tell you how many people have asked WAY too late and lost 10+ years of a child's benefit because they didn't know it existed. Heartbreaking.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!