LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My fiancé took a horrible 30+ foot fall back in 1990. He

Customer Question

My fiancé took a horrible 30+ foot fall back in 1990. He sustained injuries to his left side femur, shattered both kneecaps, and several locations of neck and back injuries. He was advised not to work anymore but he did try anyway and with time those injuries obviously deteriorated and are more painful than ever not to mention the depression that came with the immense and severe pain. Still we didn't know he hadnt worked enough to acquire the credits needed to apply for disability & he is in dire horrible financial stress & has been for some time which ultimately is putting him into DEEPER depression!! After finding out he hadnt worked enough & got rejected we went and met with a disability lawyer to appeal the decision. we thought that's how we should go about the next step, but he advised us to set up an appointment w/SSA in selma,the closest office, so please advise what our next course of action should be please ,ASAP! His name is***** and as I said before I'm Jona, his fiancé.
Thanks for your prompt help in advance!!!!!
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your fiance's situation sounds really bad. Unfortunately qualifying for SSDi is simply a matter of math. He either worked enough in the 10 years immediately preceding his application for benefits or he did not. If he did not work enough, then there is little use in filing an appeal or in speaking to someone personally at the social security office in Selma. This is because there are no exceptions to qualifying.

I will be happy to speak with you on the phone if you would like and I can do the math to look at whether he should have qualified---but that is really all that can be done.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug