How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37000
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Will my wife status of disability change when she is 62. She

Customer Question

Will my wife status of disability change when she is 62. She is gonna receive an annuity from rail road retirement at 62. Her benefit will go up. If she waits till she is 66 she will receive a higher amount from rub.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While your wife's disability status with social security will not change when she turns 62 and begins to receive a railroad pension, the pension from the railroad will reduce or eliminate the disability benefit she will receive from social security. Let me explain.

The Government Pension Offset laws of social security will result in your wife losing 2/3 of the amount that the railroad pays her as a pension from her disability benefit.

So if she is receiving SSDI of $1000 per month and her railroad pension is $1200 per month, social security will reduce her SSDI by 2/3 of the railroad pension---or by $800 per month, leaving her with SSDI of $200 per month and her railroad pension.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,