LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I heard on TV that the Govenment was giving out a one time

Customer Question

I heard on TV that the Govenment was giving out a one time payment to social security, but we must be applied for before April 15,2016 or you loose forever. it was for a substantial amount. Do you have any Idea what this is about? Thanks for any help, Alice
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Alice,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I assure you that the deadline of April 30, 2016 has nothing to do with any one time payment. There is no one time payment of a substantial amount that is scheduled to be given to anyone.

What the time deadline has to do with is for certain qualified people to make a decision on when and how to apply for their social security benefits.

Unless you are married, over age 66, not yet receiving your social security retirement benefits, and your spouse wants to make a social security spouse claim, then the recent changes to the law really don't effect you.

But either way, there never was any lump sum payment that people can claim before April 15th of this year from social security.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction. I'm sorry.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug