How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13324
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is Medicare prescription drug plan a SSI benefit when a

Customer Question

Is Medicare prescription drug plan a SSI benefit when a person receives SS Benefits as a disabled dependent of a wage earner?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Medicare is not connected to SSI (supplemental security income, which is a federal welfare program for the poor disabled or aged) - it is only connected to Social Security. So, to get medicare, generally one must be insured for same (which we become insured for in the generally manner we become insured for social security, via working enough and paying those FICA taxes). Then, after working enough to be insured, one must either be 65 or older OR, be found legally disabled by the SSA and entitled to social security disability insurance benefits (SSDI, SSDIB, SSD - all the acronyms for same).

Now, if person becomes eligible for DAC (disabled adult child) benefits under the SSA's rules) and entitled to same once hie parent becomes eligible for social security, then yes, Medicare will eventually attach to that. Being dependent on a wage earner is not quite enough.

Alternatively, however, those on SSI are often eligible for MEDICAID, which is different from Medicare but may tied them over until they are old enough for Medicare (or otherwise eligible) - and the Medicaid he will want to apply directly through his STATE medical office - often called state medical assistance office or welfare office - which should be found in his county.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

And, if he is eligible for Medicaid or Medicare, he can have a drug plan. (Medicaid tends to be cost free, while Medicare has premiums and copays, etc., as well as premiums).

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Related Social Security Questions