LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

What is HR 1314 and what are the banned benefits that are

Customer Question

What is HR 1314 and what are the banned benefits that are going away on May 1, 2016?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am 65 and not taking any SS benefits at this time
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

HR 1314 was the Budget Act that was passed and it covers hundreds of issues only some of them social security related. Most of the changes relate to people receiving disability benefits, and I presume that is not your situation.

The social security loopholes/benefits that were lost were the ability to file and suspend your own benefit so a spouse can take an immediate spouse benefit, and if you were born after January 2, 1954, you lose the ability to file for a restricted benefit at age 66---taking ONLY a spouse benefit while allowing your own benefit to continue to grow.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug