LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Is there a correct way to administer social security

Customer Question

Is there a correct way to administer social security dependent benefits
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I don't understand what you mean when you say "administer dependent benefits". Can you please expand on your question?

Doug

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I get a social security check should I deposit in a separate account in the name of the child. Can I spend the money on anything? Or am I restricted in some way. Can I buy child food, pay for education, go to the movies?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Is this a child survivor benefit, or a benefit because you are receiving social security retirement?

Doug

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am receiving social security and dependent child benefits. I want to know how to handle the dependent child benefits. Should I Open a separate UTMA account for my child?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

Survivor's benefits for children first need to cover the child's share of the day-to-day requirements, such as water, food and shelter. After that you may spend remaining funds on dental and medical expenses for the child. If you can afford to pay the child's medical and general living expenses without the monthly benefit, the SSA allows you to use it for clothing, recreation and other miscellaneous expenses.

To the extent that you don't use the entire benefit to support the child, you should set up an interest-bearing account in the child's name and list yourself as a fiduciary. Alternatively, social security law allows you to buy Savings Binds with the money.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug