Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am confused, but interested in this subject. Help me to

Customer Question

Customer: I am confused, but interested in this subject. Help me to know what to do. I am 82, almost 83, widowed and living on my Social Security. I guess I qualify as being below the poverty line.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have read where if you sign up you may receive thousands of unclaimed dollars and add it to you SS income (?).
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

These changes for some reason have been hyped in the media and on the Internet but these changes are very specific and at your age, do not affect you. What it has to do with is "file and suspend" and the spousal benefit. On May 1, 2016, recipients will no longer be able to take advantage of this loophole. Basically you have to be at an age to take your full retirement benefit (age 66). You can suspend your benefits and allow your benefits to grow until age 70 and gain credits. The working spouse has to elect to take their benefit in order for the other spouse to be eligible for the spousal benefit. The other spouse then elects to take the 50% spousal benefit. So this change in social security, at your age, has nothing to do with your benefit and it is not something that you can elect to get extra money.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.