dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I have been getting widows benefits since my husband passed

Customer Question

I have been getting widows benefits since my husband passed in 2014. I did not receive it for January 2016. Why wouldn't I get it then?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

What date did you expect?

What is the date in the month, of your birthday?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Jan 3 was the date I was suppose to get it. My birthday is *****

Why did you have an expectation of the 3rd?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is the date I have been getting my checks.

Do you have kids getting survivor benefits as well?

And when you say checks, so you really mean direct deposits?

Since you are not here at the moment, it appears, I will check back with you later. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my daughter is getting direct deposit also. She got hers, I did not get mine for Jan.

When did you start receiving in 2014?

and what is your spouse's date of birth (date within the month)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I started receiving direct deposit shortly after my husband passed. His birthday was Aug. 1969. He passed April 2014.

I am very sorry for your loss.

But what is his DATE of birthdate.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Aug. 29, 1969

How old is your daughter?

(And thank you for providing answers to narrow down the possibie reasons for this.)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
14, I should still receive mine until I remarry.

Actually, no you receive caretaker widow benefits only until she turns 16, unfortunately, OR you marry.

Are you working? If so, what was your ball park income form 2015?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm working, all of what your asking has nothing to do with why I didn't receive mine.

Actually, that is not necessarily true. If you worked and made more than the limit, you are not eligible for SS survivor benefit. Ergo, the question, you haven't yet answered. What was your ball park income in 2015?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will call them Tuesday as you don't seem to know what your talking about. I don't have the patience for you to tell me that it depends on my income when they have not asked for it or anything since I started receiving it. You could look up my info if you was working for them but instead you keep asking questions that they have on file. Have a good day.

Karen, Wow! Aside from the rudeness, which I will ignore, Please read your URL address location. You seem to think you are or were interacting with the SSA. That is not so, and it concerns me.

You asked WHY they were not sending you a check. Rather than say, "gee, could be an SS goof", (which is certainly true and accurate much of the time), being the SS lawyer that I am, I was asking you all the information to eliminate what could be one of several reasons, so that we'd be left with the remaining accurate reason. Remember, you asked me for help, not the other way around. And, because you are unaware of the legal reasons the SSA would withhold, you failed to include all the details I asked about, as I sought to narrow your issue down.

I am not THE SSA. I am an attorney who works exclusively in the SS arena, and claimants and beneficiaries make up 100% of my client base - my legal practice, but also my voluntary time here to help others that may need it. Be clear on this. I can not (nor would I if I could) look up your private SS financial information, thank goodness! The SSA thankfully does not relinquish our private SS information to anyone but ourselves (and at times, an appointed representative, but I am not that to you, as that would likely require a retainer and my agreement, which I'd likely not be willing to provide - nor do I think you need that level of assistance (or cost) if you can exercise patience to get to your answer.) So, when you believe "you could look up my info if you was working for them" - my goodness, you are speaking with an attorney, not the SSA. I think you got a little lost when you were surfing the net. Please be more careful in the future.

That said, while we were getting close to determining WHY you haven't received benefits and IF it where curable so you could prospectively, your rush for a day trip to your local SSA office has putting a close to my sharing of my time with you, to solve your issue. Have fun at your local office. And I suggest a little bit of patience and manners may get your further with the front desk that the alternative. Good luck.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ball park figure would be $28,000 a year.

I have opted out, for obvious reasons - but I double checked that it should be available for any other SS expert that may be around and willing to hop into the skillet. I wish you the best.