Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I get social security disability and medicare since i can't

Customer Question

i get social security disability and medicare since i can't work do I get regular social security at age 60.5?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Not exactly, you can start social security retirement at 62 years old you can apply to receive Social Security retirement benefits as an individual or as a spouse on a husband or wife’s record. Additionally, an applicant may be entitled to file for social security retirement benefits on the record of another individual as a divorced spouse or widowed spouse provided they were were married to that individual for ten years or more. Full retirement age currently is age 66, so if you decide to take your benefits at age 62 they will be reduced and you would receive 32% of the normal benefit. At age 66 you will receive the higher of the SSDI and your regular benefit so the answer to your question is no at 60.5 and yes at 66 if your benefit is higher than your disability.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?