LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My name is ***** *****, I am retired Army. How does that

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, I am retired Army. How does that affect my Social Security Benefices? I turn 62 in 2017 Oct. How doe that effect my wife who is 53?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I receive a retirement and disability for 24yrs service.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service to our country.

While there is a special, extra earnings amount which is added to the annual earnings of service members who since 1957 have had military service earnings for active duty, it is not a direct benefit to the retiree, but rather adds additional income to the quarterly earnings registered with social security, which indirectly increases the ultimate social security retirement benefit received by the veteran.

The income added to the earnings during the active duty year’s amounts to $300 per quarter for time served on active duty. This results in a very small increase in the full retirement benefit of the retired veteran. There is no special benefit for veterans of the Viet Nam war that served overseas. The special, extra earnings amount applies to all service members who served from 1957 through 2001.

And under the rules of social security, for military service

• From 1957 through 1967, they will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
  • From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
  • After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

Here is a link to the social security site which describes this extra earnings amount:

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/military.htm

The only effect your military service would have on your wife would to be a secondary benefit---because her spouse benefit would be a bit higher because your primary benefit is higher as a result of the military extra earnings amount.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug