LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 71 years old, my wife is 66 years old. We both started

Customer Question

I am 71 years old, my wife is 66 years old. We both started drawing SS benefits at 62. If I die, sometime, will my wife get some of my SS benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is your monthly benefit greater than your wife's?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mine is around 1,500 per mo, my wife's is about 800.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

If you predecease your wife, she will be entitled to switch her retirement benefit for a survivor benefit, and that survivor benefit will equal the full amount that you are receiving at your passing.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug