Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Wanda.. What is all this extra money that they are saying we

Customer Question

Customer: Wanda.. What is all this extra money that they are saying we are entitled to.??They say that all this extra will go away on April 30th of this year if we do not apply for it.. Is this legit??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Read an article saying that there was all this extra money out there that we don't know about and that all we have to do is file applications for it.. Something call Banned Benefits
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Social Security Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Can I get to this service anytime.. Running for Grandchildren
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

What you have been hearing about is the elimination of the "file and suspend" and the "restricted application" that will no longer be an option in May of 2016. This really only effects those interested in suspending their benefit and taking the 50% spousal benefit while collecting credits to increase their benefit until age 70. Basically you must be at full retirement age (66) and your spouse normally can only take the spousal share if you have elected to take your ss benefit. So by suspending and not yet taking your benefit, your spouse can take the spousal share and you can continue to collect credits. Thus is a good planning tool but not many people either don't meet the requirements or simply aren't interested. So if this would effect you, it is really the only big change.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?