Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have just applied security first time. I am taking it

Customer Question

I have just applied for social security for the first time. I am taking it early at age 62. I have been advised that once I start I am not allowed to make any more that $1,310.00 per month or 15,720.00 per year. I intend on making about $ 2,000.00 in March before cutting back. That will mean I will have about $ 6,000.00 in earnings for the calendar year of 2016. My understanding is that even though I do not start to collect social security until April I still can not earn more than $ 15,720.00 for the year. My question is two fold. Does my earning $ 2,000.00 in March in any way hinder me getting my first check in April and is it true I can still only make a total of $ 15,720 for the year even though I only start getting social security in April?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I have just applied for social security for the first time. I am taking it early at age 62. I have been advised that once I start I am not allowed to make any more that $1,310.00 per month or 15,720.00 per year. I intend on making about $ 2,000.00 in March before cutting back. That will mean I will have about $ 6,000.00 in earnings for the calendar year of 2016. My understanding is that even though I do not start to collect social security until April I still can not earn more than $ 15,720.00 for the year. My question is two fold. Does my earning $ 2,000.00 in March in any way hinder me getting my first check in April

Response 1: No, it does not.

and is it true I can still only make a total of $ 15,720 for the year even though I only start getting social security in April?

Response 2: Yes, that is correct. For more information, click on the link below:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3739/What-happens-if-I-work-and-get-Social-Security-retirement-benefits