Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am divorced but my exhusband does not have to live. Do I

Customer Question

I am divorced but my exhusband does not have long to live. Do I qualify for his social security if he dies?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

See link for Social Security website on the issue:

"If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more.

Benefits paid to you as a surviving divorced spouse who meets the age or disability requirement as a widow or widower won't affect the benefit rates for other survivors getting benefits on the worker's record.

If you are caring for a child under age 16 or disabled who is getting benefits on the record of your former spouse, you would not have to meet the length-of-marriage rule. The child must be your former spouse's natural or legally adopted child."

For requirements see Social Security website: https://www.socialsecurity.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou2.html

"If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:

(1) receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60.

(2) begin receiving benefits as early as age 50 if you are disabled AND the disability started before or within seven years of the worker's death.

A widow, widower or surviving divorced spouse cannot apply online for survivors benefits. If you wish to apply for disability benefits as a survivor, contact Social Security at 1-***-***-**** to request an appointment."

Please let me know if you have any further question and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?