LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I'm 51 and post polio I'm having trouble with my legs and

Customer Question

I'm 51 and post polio I'm having trouble with my legs and would like to apply for disability. How do I apply if I'm working at the present time?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It is not practical to apply for disability if you are still working. In order to qualify, you must show that you are disables under the definition used by social security.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;
  • Social Security decides that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

Here is a link where you can apply online for your benefit: http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/ Your benefit will be about the same as your full retirement age retirement benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug