How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4442
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am I entitled to my deceases ex-husbands social security -

Customer Question

Am I entitled to my deceases ex-husbands social security - we were married 30 years and raised 3 children. I have been remarried several years now.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

You likely qualify for benefits on his work record.


If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more.

Benefits paid to you as a surviving divorced spouse who meets the age or disability requirement as a widow or widower won't affect the benefit rates for other survivors getting benefits on the worker's record.

Note: If you remarry after you reach age 60 (age 50 if disabled), the remarriage will not affect your eligibility for survivors benefits.

If you are caring for a child under age 16 or disabled who is getting benefits on the record of your former spouse, you would not have to meet the length-of-marriage rule. The child must be your former spouse's natural or legally adopted child.

However, if you qualify because you have the worker's child in your care, your benefit will affect the amount of the benefits of others on the worker's record.

Select one of the links below to get additional information about

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

I would go to the SSA website and assemble the documents you will need to support your claim, such as wedding license/joint filed tax returns, death certificate, and other proof as SSA requests, then schedule a visit to your local SSA office to apply. is the link to the above material.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.