TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

It was explained to me that my wife would get half of what I

Customer Question

It was explained to me that my wife would get half of what I would get upon retiring.
I waited until 70 to file for social security.
What they didn't tell me was the half she would be getting was based on what I would have received at age 65, and she could applied then.
I just found this out.
Are these five years gone forever, or is there any way I can that get this money?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 10 months ago.

Hello

Unfortunately no. SS is complicated so trying to no all the ways and when to apply can be complicated.

It doesn't always pay to wait until age 70 before taking spousal benefits. Once you reach full retirement age, which is currently age 66, there's no reason to keep waiting. For spousal benefits, there are no delayed retirement credits available.

I am sorry but the 5 years are gone.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!