LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am a retired federal employee under CSRS. I have earned

Customer Question

I am a retired federal employee under CSRS. I have earned over 40 quarters under Social Security.
Can my wife draw on my SS benefits now before reaching full retirement years and then draw on her SS account without affecting my CSRS annuity.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your wife making a social security spouse benefit claim will not interfere with your CSRS retirement benefit. However, if she is less than 66 now, then her filing a spouse claim will be deemed that she is ALSO filing for her own claim and her own benefit will not continue to grow from that point on. The only time she can file a spouse claim and have her own benefit grow is if she is already full retirement age (66).

Again though, her claim for a spouse benefit will not effect your CSRS benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug