Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My husband has recently been fired from s job (12/2/15, he's

Customer Question

My husband has recently been fired from his job (12/2/15, he's collecting uemployment at the moment, however he is eligible for Social Security, my question is Can he collect SS and unemployment. I'm on SS and I'm allowed to work and make up to a certain amount of money which i'm sure your're already aware of, is this also permitted with unemployment. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

The SSA does not count unemployment insurance benefits as earnings, for retirees UNDER the full retirement age, but his / your unemployment benefit may be reduced if you receive benefits from Social Security at the same time. The guidelines for reducing unemployment benefits vary by state, when a state actually has chosen to legislature an offset. The state in which you reside decides if receiving additional income will reduce your weekly or biweekly unemployment payments. So you will want to look to your state's unemployment rules currently in place. I would add that depending on his combined income (and yours if filng jointly), he may cause his SS to be taxed (just as yours may be taxed because of the combined income of the two of you).

That said, if he has to choose, he may want to consider that taking SS instead of UI means possibly a permanent reduction to his SS benefit, forever, while taking UI and not taking SS will not cause such a reduction. Taking now, if ongoing, can also prevent him from delaying SS taking til 70, losing that 32% increase he could get beyond his full retirement amount. So delaying can have great benefits, if he can afford to do so.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional