Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I know that Social Security was not supposed to increase.

Customer Question

I know that Social Security was not supposed to increase. But I just received my bank statement and my electronic deposit went DOWN $146. Why didn't I receive a warning or explanation in the mail? Why did this happen?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Do you have Medicare?

If so, when did you start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2012, I think.

What was your income (ball park is fine), in 2014?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I made a mistake. I started collecting in 2009.155,476.

No worries on the date, since it was not this year.

OK, did you make substantially more income in 2014 than 2013, and if so, why/how?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took money from my savings and investments to pay for new clothes and Medifast--Doctor ordered to lose 100 pounds. I dropped 4 sizes which cost me lots of money, not only for smaller clothes but for Medifast food. I also needed a new car with monthly payments of $696.45 which I again paid with investment money.

OK, it sounds like you took a substantial amount from something like a 401k that previously was not taxed income when earned, but became taxed once you withdrew, is that correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What was your ball park income in 2013?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I feel like you are asking me to dig for gold! I finally found it. Sorry it took so long.74,344

Ah, thanks for your patience! Just got a call from the school to pick up my sick daughter, yikes. But I am back now. OK, here is what it is, as I can see it:

Your 2016 Medicare premium has gone up, just for 2016, due to that higher income of 2014. There is a 2 year lag due to IRS reportings. In 2013, your income was less than $85k (single person) and so you had the standard Medicare charge (104.90). However, now that it is higher, you get bumped up and don't get as heavily a discounted insurance premium rate for Part B (and D if you opted for D). You should get a letter explaining this and explaining how and when one may successfully ask for a redetermination, usually on the basis of a Medicare defined "life changing event." But the somewhat brighter side is that regardless, this increase is only for 1 year. For 2017 they will use your 2015 income which will presumably be lower again.

Congratulations on the weight loss! I hope you are feeling great in that regard.

You can read more on IRMAA here.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional