Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I received a request from PayPal to update my account. So, I

Customer Question

Hi, I received a request from PayPal to update my account. So, I was filling out the forms and noticed they requested my social security number. I only filled in the last four. The screen then highlighted the entire sequence. So, as I thought it was PayPal I did so.
Then I saw that I needed to be on the look out for false e mails. So, I contacted PayPal and didn't hear back for a while. I erased the e mail request, then I tried to retrieve it. I have been unable to locate it. PayPal has informed me I've been phished. What do I do? Can I change my social security number?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

You need to immediately close your bank accounts and open new ones.

You need to monitor your credit report to see if credit has been applied using your information and if so, immediately contact the lenders. The contact information for the lenders would be on the credit report. Here is information on how you can order a free credit report:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/requestReport/landingPage.action

If you use debit and credit cards, you need to monitor the accounts to see if purchases have been made. If so, dispute the information with the credit reporting agencies.

As for issuance of new Social Security Card, Social Security Administration has very strict requirements. You must show that you are a victim of identity theft among other things in order to get a new number. Also, issuance of a new card would be problematic because your work history and subsequent benefits under Social Security system are linked to your Social Security Number. So, if you change your number, that would open up a whole new other problems. Click on the link below for more information:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3789/Can-I-change-my-Social-Security-number