Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I was married to my ex-husband 13 years. I took early social

Customer Question

Customer: I was married to my ex-husband for over 13 years. I took early social security when I turned 64 because I thought I was going to lose my job. From what I've read from the official social security website, I am entitled to supplemental benefits from my ex-husband's social security when he is eligible (this coming May). I understand that because I took early retirement benefits I am eligible to receive 30%, as opposed to 50%, of his benefits as a supplement to what I am receiving now. Is that correct? Are there caveats? Something I am not understanding? Thank you
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Details in what way?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply. With regard to your post:

" I was married to my ex-husband for over 13 years. I took early social security when I turned 64 because I thought I was going to lose my job. From what I've read from the official social security website, I am entitled to supplemental benefits from my ex-husband's social security when he is eligible (this coming May). -------- Yes, you will likely be eligible for a divorced spouse benefit. If it is larger than your own, you may wish to switch over.

"I understand that because I took early retirement benefits I am eligible to receive 30%, as opposed to 50%, ----- It may be a bit bigger than that, but yes, it will be reduced.

"of his benefits as a supplement to what I am receiving now. Is that correct? ------- No, you are not entitled to both amounts. You can be entitled to the larger of the two benefits you are eligible for - you can pick one, so typically it is the highest. None of us can get the amount of 2 people, only one, - 1 person, 1 amount - but we can pick the larger.

Are there caveats? Something I am not understanding? Thank you --- Yes, see above. Feel free to follow up if anything remains unclear.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional