Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I will receive a modest texas teacher retirement, My husband

Customer Question

i will receive a modest texas teacher retirement, My husband has been paying into social security for fory five years.Am I elegible for any benefits from those payments?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your husband is receiving or eligible for retirement or disability benefits. You can also receive a spouse's benefit at any age if you are caring for your child who is younger than age 16 or disabled. You would be eligible to receive 50% of your husband's benefit. The pension for your teaching might take away from this benefit though. See link for rules regarding this offset from the social security website: https://socialsecurity.gov/planners/retire/gpo.html

"If you receive a pension from a government job in which you did not pay Social Security taxes, some or all of your Social Security spouse's, widow's or widower's benefit may be offset due to receipt of that pension. This offset is referred to as the Government Pension Offset, or GPO.

The GPO will reduce the amount of your Social Security spouse's, widow's or widower's benefits by two-thirds of the amount of your government pension. For example, if you receive a monthly civil service pension of $600, two-thirds of that, or $400, must be used to offset your Social Security spouse's, widow's or widower's benefits. If you are eligible for a $500 spouse's benefit, you will receive $100 per month from Social Security ($500 - $400 = $100)."

So yes you are eligible if your husband is receiving a benefit or has reached full retirement age but it can be offset by your teacher pension.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?