dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am 64 years old. My spouse died 5 years ago. Can I collect

Customer Question

I am 64 years old. My spouse died 5 years ago. Can I collect on his Social Security. And how will it affect my SS payments when I reach full retirement age. I am presently working full time and my plans are to retire at my full retirement age.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You may be eligible for surviving spouse benefits as long as you didn't remarry before age of 60. A social security agent will need to access your spouse's records to determine how much you would be eligible for.

However, claiming any social security benefits (spousal or your own) before your full retirement age will permanently reduce all your benefits. It means if you claim spousal benefits now, your own benefits will also be reduced. Your full retirement age is probably 65 or 66. If you plan to work full time it might be better to wait.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You didn't read my question because all of your questions were answered in my question.....????????????
In my question I told you you I was 64....I have not remarried since the death of my spouse...I said I didn't plan on drawing until my full retirement age.

Yes, I read your question. I didn't know if you remarried or not, I had no way of knowing that. You asked how SS payments will be affected when you are ready to retire and I explained that if you claim the surviving spouse benefits before your retire, your own will be reduced. Many people collect social security benefits before they retire. Again, I had no way of knowing if you plan to collect his benefits before you retire and than switch to your own. It happens all the time.

Yes, you may be eligible for surviving benefits but it all depends on your individual circumstances. I cannot access your or your spouse's records to see what option would be best for you. You need to make an appointment at your local SS office for exact numbers.