Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

This would be a continuation ofmy last question. how much

Customer Question

this would be a continuation ofmy last question. how much would my wifes benefit be reduced
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Good morning.

OK, your wife's benefit will be owed back, just as yours will be, until the overpayment is paid. In this case, if you are earning $50k a years, that is $34280 too much. You will owe back $1 of benefits for every $2 earned. That means you will owe back 34280/2 or $17140 if you went the whole year overcollecting. So, the first month they "take back" they will withhold your $2000 plus your wife's spousal benefit (either 900 or 900-325, if 325 is her own benefit amount being paid first). Assuming the 900, then each month they will withhold the full 2900 for 5 months, and the 6th month you will still owe 2640 back, and so they will take a proportionate amount from each of you to recoupe that. See here: http://socialsecuritybenefitshandbook.com/page12.html

Ideally, if one has already taken early retirement and can't re-do that decision, and goes back to work and is able to sustain himself on his work earnings, one considers banking the received retirement benefits so that when they have to be paid back, it is pain free. A real problem occurs if the work has to pay them back at at time when he is no long working and NEEDS that SS to survive - yet sees it withheld to pay his debt to the SSA. Protecting against that scenario may be something to consider.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional