Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

How can I protect the SSS of my grandson who is minor from s

Customer Question

How can I protect the SSS of my grandson who is minor from his Mom who had records on using other persons SSS in the past?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Is your grandson receiving SSI?

Who does he live with?

Who is his Representative Payee?

How old is he?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No ,he is not getting financial help from SSS but on Staywell for health insurance .I,grandmother raised him since he was 4 yrs old & he is 17 now.I am her guardian.He is 17 yrs old.

So what social security are you trying to protect, if he isn't getting any?

Do you mean you want to make sure she doesn't use his SS NUMBER? I.e. to take out loans for herself by using his number?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No,she used my other daughter's security number by applying credit cards

Again, are you trying to PREVENT her from stealing his SS number and using it fraudulently? Thereby damaging his credit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he has savings account.Will start working in the future.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still with me?I've been waiting for 15 mins.just want to be sure you are still connected to me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What happen? You haven't answer my question yet & I paid $32 for nothing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just let me know if you're still on line with me.

I am, sorry, just a glitch.

OK, he can't do anything via the SSA, but we do when we are concerned about fraud against us, is contact the 3 major bureaus (credit) and ask that a fraud alert be placed on our 3 respective files. I have done this myself after being a victim of ID theft and having some crook borrow $8000 from Wells Fargo, pretending to be me. Once I saw the violation, I contacted all 3 bureaus (the crook of course didn't pay the loan back on its terms, which is how I learned of it because my credit rating dropped). They placed a fraud alert on my file, which meant that ANYTIME credit was requested, including when I myself applied for credit, it wouldn't just happen - they lender would have to re-contact me separately (usually emailing me and/or texting/calling me on cell number connected to me) and I'd have to verify certain info to confirm yes it was me and yes I sought the credit/loan. Then, they'd process the loan request, but not before.

The 3 credit bureaus I am referring to are Experian, TransUnion and Equifax, incidentally, and you can reach them online. This likely won't be much do-able until your grandson is 18 because minors typically won't be allowed to take out loans in their own name, so he likely has no credit rating as of yet, but soon.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional