Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am age 60, my spouse is age 55. Can I file and suspend

Customer Question

I am age 60, my spouse is age 55. Can I file and suspend benefits before the law changes this year?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Unfortunately, no. In order to do this you have to be of full retirement age (66), and you would not meet the criteria. The changes go into effect on 5-1-16 and you wouldn't even be at age 62 to even begin your benefits in the first place.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.