Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 64, wife is 48, 2 kids ages 12 and 10. If I retire at

Customer Question

I am 64, wife is 48, 2 kids ages 12 and 10. If I retire at 65, can wife collect as taking care of the two kids and can kids collect. If wife can collect, for how long?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, with regard to your post:

"I am 64, wife is 48, 2 kids ages 12 and 10. If I retire at 65, can wife collect as taking care of the two kids ------------ Yes, if she is caring for them and not working substantially, (i.e. under the earnings limit, which was 15,720 in 2015); The amount a caretaker can collect is up to 50%, subject to family max cap. She can collect while they are under age 16.

and can kids collect. --------- Yes, up to 50% each, subject to family max, until they are 18-19 years old. They all share the balance of the family max when multiple dependents collect.

If wife can collect, for how long? ------- Til youngest is 16. At that point, the theory being she need not "stay home" with them and can get a job and not be a dependent for SS purposes.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

"

Hello again. It is Stephanie Joy,checking back with you. It is month end for my office accounting - Please,if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional