Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Have worked Government years. I paid into social security

Customer Question

Have worked for Federal Government for 43 years. I paid into social security for 10 years and have 37 credits. How do I fare?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

You need to have 40 credits in order to retire for social security, so you would not have enough for SS as of yet. Your benefit is determined by averaging your earnings over 35 years, so the 25 years you are lacking will have 0 averaged in which will decrease your benefit. You should have a nice pension with your federal government but you will be subject to the windfall elimination and pension offset that will take away from your benefit. See link for description: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v74n3/v74n3p55.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.